Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Day in the Life of...

I thought it would be fun to write down a typical Kellar day. Mostly I want to be able to read it 10-20 years from now, and remember just how precious these years at home with my boys are. Since Sam took a morning nap and Ben is contentedly playing with some rice in a bowl, a "naughty guy", and a dinosaur (just heard: "DON'T eat my husband, eat your OWN lunch!"), this is my chance to write it!

5:58am Up and At-Em: Nate gets up at about 5:45 and I usually wake up soon after to quickly brush my teeth and get dressed in my coziest. While he starts the fire, I start the water for our french press coffee. We sit by the fire and read whatever part of the Bible we are in. We read it separately, but discuss it together at the end. This part of our day came about at the beginning of this year, after meeting with our friends, the Cantrall's. They told us how indispensable this part of their day had become, and we can't agree more. It is a vital time of day for our faith, our marriage, and our sanity! I figure, I will feel sleepy when the boys wake me up at 6:45, so why not wake up a bit earlier, feel sleepy, yes, but also spend time with my hubby and Savior!

6:30-7:00 Boys wake up - Usually Ben first. He'll sit and eat a bowl of cheerios, look at a book, and ask a few times to watch a movie, even thought he knows the answer. Often a temper tantrum will ensue, but we're trying to really get right on those... Nate leaves for work about 6:45 and my days with the boys begins...

7:15 Breakfast - Usually, yogurt, oatmeal, toast, fruit, etc. I'll quickly choke down a few things in between prepping their breakfast, reading out of our "Jesus Book" to the boys, cleaning up the breakfast dishes, getting the kids dressed and packing our snack for...

8:00 Walk with Madeline - My good friend and neighbor helps me stay both in shape and sane! We walk every morning we can. I used to secretly mock those that "only" walked for exercise, but M and I walk fast, up hills, and I push a 80 lb stroller to boot. I get a great workout, some enriching conversation, and the boys get some fresh air. It's a win-win-win.

9:00 Play outside if nice - play in garage if rainy.

9:30 Sam's first nap - He will literally go grab his blanket and lay on the floor with it, if he is tired. While Sam naps, I sometimes let Ben watch a show while I clean or sew. Then, we do school. Lately, we are going through about one letter a week. We are only at B. I'm not the best at homeschooling :). But I try. This lasts for 20-30 minutes, then Ben and I read, or he plays quietly while I blog...

11:00 - Sam is usually up by now. I stall the boys until it is time for lunch. They take the cushions off the couch and jump on them, or help me pour ingredients for dinner, or read books, etc.

12:00 Lunch/Movie - I started letting Ben watch a movie while he ate lunch while I was still nursing Sam and putting him down for his nap. This way Ben was occupied and I could spend as much time with Sam as needed until he fell asleep. We still do this. I put a tablecloth down on the LR floor, move Ben's little table and chair, and Sam's high chair out to the living room. I get about 20 minutes or so to get some more cooking/cleaning done. Depending on the movie and when Sam's next nap will be, I usually let Ben watch about an hour or so. Lately, he's all about "Superheroes", a.k.a. Incredibles.

1:00 Naptime for Ben - (potty, brush teeth, read two books - dang it, I just realized I forgot to put a pull-up on Ben today! Washing the sheets just got added to my to do list). Naptime for Sam is usually a little later.

2:00 The best time of the day! An hour or two to myself! I usually eat my lunch while watching a show on Hulu, or reading my book. Then, I love to listen to a sermon, Dave Ramsey, or watch a show while I continue to cook and clean up (when will it end already!). I usually pay bills or answer e-mail at this time. I've seen a blog titled "Life happens during naps," and although I wouldn't go that far, it sure is a invigorating time of the day. A time I guard jealously.

3:30ish Boys are up, I start making dinner and wait anxiously for Nate to get home. This time of day is usually a blur b/c the boys are crabby and I have a lot to do still.

5:00 Nate home - he plays with the boys while I finish up dinner. At this time, they love to "play bear" which involves a lot of growling and throwing on pillows and other such carrying-on. Sam is usually somewhere around my feet begging for handouts while I work on dinner.

6:00 Dinner

7:30-8:00 Bedtime routine - Bath, brush teeth, go potty, read two books, pray, sing two songs, get new water, give a kiss. Oh, and the boys usually go to bed around this time too :). No, really...

8:00 Every parents favorite moment of the day is walking out of the bedroom, even when it means I am walking to the sink to do more dishes. It DOESN'T matter!

9:30-10:00 Bedtime!


So, that's it. If you made it all the way through our day, congrats!

2 comments:

  1. Too cute! What a fun idea to write down a typical day! I can totally relate to the constantly cleaning or cooking part. :] We used to always tell my mom she should stop worrying about keeping the house clean and sit down, but now I completely understand her need to clean. I have to constantly monitor myself to make sure to enjoy play time with my kids regardless of whether or not my to do list gets done! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it! i especially love that you and nate start your day in the Word together. i will have to share that idea with bryce. sounds like your day is organized really well, i am craving that right now (maybe when tyson is a little older it will be more of a reality)!

    ReplyDelete