Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Invasive Species


Himilayan Blackberries - The top invasive species of the Pacific Northwest.


River choked with Himilayan Blackberries in Oregon



Himilayan blackberries are nearly impossible to remove.  Cut them down, till them up, burn them back, spray them all season - no matter the method, they’ll soon be back.  In the Pacific Northwest, this non-native plant species absolutely ruins plots of land, shoving out the native plant species like a bully.  Without great care and diligence, they soon take over the beautiful land in our neighborhoods.


But…

My life is infested with an invasive species too. 

Or, at least this is the image that God gave me awhile back of how deceptive and secretly invasive my PRIDE is.  It is permeating and quietly destructive.  Over the last 33 years of my life, it has spread, seemingly unnoticed, into every area of my heart, mind, and strength.  Pride keeps me from a posture of worship.  It keeps me from sinking deep roots to draw up the Water of Life.  It chokes back the fruit God wants to produce as His Truth spreads up each vine. 

I am ashamed.

Back in 2003, as I was earning my MAT at GFU, a man in my co-hort named Rob said something to me that I’ll never forget.  We were working on a group project and, although I don’t remember the exact circumstances, I’ll never forget his words: “You are the kind of girl that always wants to be the center of attention.  You want to talk over other people because you’re self-centered.”  Ouch.  It hurt.  I remember purposefully being quiet around Rob after that.  It was as if I was forcing humility upon myself, but only so that I wouldn’t fulfill his prophecy.  Even my “humility” was prideful, as I attempted to look good in the eyes of others. 

Lord, I have so far to go.  So much to learn! 

Master gardeners say that Himilayan blackberries cannot be tilled, burned or even bulldozed.  In fact, such actions invigorate new growth!  The best solution they have found is to individually cut off each branch at the proper stage of growth, then, paint it with round-up.  When you have a bramble of bushes, this can take days, weeks, even years! 

Lord, this is what I need.  I need you to identify, cut off, and kill each area of pride in my life.  I want to be closer to you, but my bramble of pride is not allowing me to!  Please teach me through Your Word.  I want to know you and posture myself as your daughter.

I want to know from your Word what it truly means to be…

Humble.

I've spent the last several months seeking out specific Scripture revolving around pride and humility.  It has been so good.  I've realized a few "symptoms" of pride in my own life:
  • Contempt for other people
  • Thinking I've got x mastered, so why don't they?
  • Believing "I deserve" or "I've work hard for" something, when really every good and perfect gift is from God.
  • Worrying about one particular area of my life
  • In general, thinking about myself way too much

I love Tim Keller's definition of humility: "Humility is not thinking less of your self, but rather thinking of yourself less."  

He says, if you were to meet a truly humble person on the road, you would not walk away thinking, "Oh wow, they are really humble."  But rather, "Man, why do they care so much about me?"

The way to true humility is to see yourself through the eyes of Jesus, as the Creator of the Universe hung from the cross.  To repent.  To worship.  To allow Him to define who I am.  Through His eyes, I see myself as I truly am: a sinner in need of a Gracious God; as a person who can literally do nothing good apart from Him.  As one who is not defined by what I do right or wrong, but by what HE did for me!  And to realize this every day, every hour.

Would you believe what incredible morsel I came upon in Isaiah the other day?  From one of my all-time favorite chapters.  In fact, notice how I had every single verse highlighted at some point, except for these verses, which now bring tears to my eyes:



 “You will go out with joy and be led forth in peace; 
the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, 
and all the trees of the field will clap their hands…
(and here’s where it gets really good…) 
Instead of a thornbush will grow the pine tree
and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.  
This will be for the Lord’s renown, for an everlasting sign, 
which will not be destroyed.” 

Isaiah 55:13


Here's what a myrtle tree looks like, folks.  Gorgeous.



And, I'm sure you don't need a reminder, but here's a pine tree:




This is not just any pine tree, either.  Several years ago, when we first moved to Washougal, little Ben and I attempted to walk along a trail near our neighborhood and were stopped short by a wall of blackberries.  Gradually, over a span of 2 years, the blackberries have been chopped back by city workers.  And would you believe what their diligence revealed?  

This: 


And this: 






A beautiful meadow
Where we love
To hike and retreat, 
An oasis from the
The busy suburb.

A beautiful meadow 
where on a quiet day
If you listen very closely 
you'll hear the trees clapping their hands
And hills bursting with song
And pine trees
Declaring the Lord's glory.

A beautiful meadow
Where if you look even closer 
You might just see 
young mom lounging nearby
Remembering He who made it all,
Reveling in her glorious smallness,
Not forgetting what the meadow once was,
and thanking her Master Gardener,
Who will continue to cultivate it with care,
Cutting out the briars,
Pruning back the unfruitful branches,
Creating an oasis
For HIS glory.







2 comments:

  1. Thanks Heidi! What a beautiful message that I needed to hear. Although - I would say that Rob is full of bananas and I have never thought of you as a girl who wants to be the center of attention or self-centered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, Heidi. Powerful & convicting. Love the blackberry bush imagery and Isaiah passage. I'm just gonna go back and read this post one more time... :-)

    ReplyDelete