Monday, January 16, 2012

Ben, Benny, Benny Boy, Buddy, Bubba

This picture captures Ben's enthusiasm for life perfectly.



All specifically picked and placed.



Ben showing his cute side in Boise



Ben's first day of pre-school



He will jump off of, or climb anything (just like his dad)!



Happy, happy, happy at the Clark County Fair



Before little brother enters the world, I wanted to provide a snapshot of his two big brothers. Their quirks, personalities, sayings and doings. Little things that mostly a mom doesn't want to forget. Little things that I know will fade quickly with the sleepless nights and endless nursing sessions ahead. Don't get me wrong, we CAN'T WAIT to meet baby brother. But, I think every mom "misses" their other kids a bit when the new little one arrives. I know I better write this soon, or it might never happen. Due in 5 days!

Characteristics of Ben:

  • Ben has always been a very affectionate little guy. Several times a day, when the mood strikes him, he'll say, "I love you, Momma/Daddy/Sammy." He needs no occasion. I am so happy that this is a characteristic that has not waned as he becomes a big boy, and I pray it will continue. When we pulled him out of pre-school after the first tri-mester (combination of his resistance to going, my ability to home-school, and cost), I was so thrilled to have him back! I hate that the term "mommy's boy" has such negative connotations. We love to be together, he and I. I will be a wreck next year when he starts kindergarten!
  • Another term to describe Ben is loyal. Whomever he has spent time with recently is who he wants to spend more time with. For example, if he has spent the day with me and daddy wants to read him a story after an 11-hour work day, Ben will want to read with me. He's starting to move out of this as I explain again the logic of how Daddy is loving us by working so hard every day. Another example of loyalty is Ben's protection of this brother. In public situations, he checks in on him and makes sure he's okay. If Sam says somebody else is his buddy, Ben is quick to say, "But I'm your buddy, too!"
  • Ben is artistic. On his last day of pre-school, I asked his teacher about Ben's weaknesses and strengths. She was quick to say that Ben can sit at the craft table longer than almost any other kid! He loves to create and perfect, whether it is a coloring page, a drawing, or a cushion-house.
  • Each time we leave his cousins, Nate and I remember how Ben feels everything to his core. He's quite an emotional/compassionate little guy. As we drive away, he is so overcome with sadness, he just cries and cries looking out the window. After we watched a movie about an orphan puppy at my mom and dad's, he couldn't sleep several hours later because he wanted to have that puppy. He cried for about an hour! On the other hand, when Ben is happy, he is over the moon! Snow makes him nearly explode. When I tell him we are heading to a friends house, usually a loud, "Yahooo!!!" escapes. Fortunately, he has moved out of the extreme anger/temper tantrum stage, due to some intentional parenting on our parts, but he does still get angry and frustrated pretty easily too.
  • Ben definitely has a shy side to him, which emerges in new situations and around new people. Whereas Sam loves to put on a show, Ben would rather not be the center of attention. He knows several Bible verses, but doesn't want to say them for Grandmas and Grandpas. He has a very funny side to him, but blushes after saying something funny. Although this is an endearing quality in a lot of ways, it also means he will retreat into himself in social situations and not show the world his loving heart. We are praying that his shyness will lead to humility and thoughtfulness, but not fears.

Best Friends = Sam, Isaac, Noah, Esther, Micah, Trinity, Caleb and Jackson

Favorite Food = Tacos

Movie = Swiss Family Robinson (for today)

Favorite toy = Iron man (again, for today)


Quotes from the Last 6 Months:

To my mom, after sitting next to her in the early morning: "Grandma, are you an old girl?"

After we visited a rambunctious friend who Ben was worried about, I told him he had done a good job being loving to him. "I turned into Jesus," he said. Don't think I've ever been more proud!

After Nate showed Ben what a spit bug looked like, very passionately, "But Dad, you're destroying its home!"

[Darn, I need to write on here more often, because I know there are more!...]



A video of the two boys, Ben leading the way, playing play doh. This is a very typical volume around our house, soon to be pumped up a few more decibels with another boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment