Monday, March 14, 2011

A Full Cup

It is Monday morning. Monday morning of what could be a very long week. The boys were up many times last night: Sam coughing and moaning, Ben getting up and saying "My face STILL hurts, Mommy." I think they both have sinus colds. I have this feeling like I need to gear up for battle. Make sure my cup is full. Yet, even that make it sound like it is something I do for myself.

"My people have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water." (Jer. 2:13) My life is a broken cistern. I picture a coffee mug with a big chunk broken out of the bottom, and cracks radiating up its sides. The liquid is constantly draining out. I can't stop it. I try to use my own strength to keep filling it up with a busy schedule, friends, family, pride, praise, and the like. It is no use.

Nate and I are reading through a book called "O2: Breathing New Life into Faith," and it is from this book that I was reminded of this metaphor. With a few extra moments of quiet time this morning, I visualize Jesus mending the cup and filling it to the brim with His sweet spirit, so that I can say, "You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows." (Psalm 23:5).

This day is Yours, Lord. Fill me up and help me to serve my boys with YOUR strength. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment