Hello friends that read this. It has been about 4 months since I last posted. I have so much that needs to be said! Levi turned ONE! Ben is doing well in school. Sam is as precocious as ever. Nate returned yesterday from a last-minute trip to Anchorage. God has been so good to our family!
But... but... there have been other things going on as well. Most of them within my heart. You see, a few months ago, I asked the Lord to really begin helping me identify the idols in my life. I also asked him to help me see areas of pride in my life. Be careful what you pray for! He is working and moving and helping me try to see what He sees both within me and around me.
What does this have to do with our family's blog? Well, just a couple of things. One, I'm going to change the title to "The Kellar Chronicles". (Gotta have that alliteration, you know). Also, I would love to share with some of you how God has been working and IS working in my heart and some of things he's been teaching me and our family as we seek to be missional here in Washougal. In other words, you may notice a shift in what I write about.
So, what about those Idols that the title mentioned above? A few days ago, Nate and I got to Isaiah 44 in our read-through the Bible. Some time ago I had penciled in the following definition of Idolatry:
Idolatry: Settling for satisfaction in anything or anyone else but God Almighty.
Ouch.
My children, my skills, my home, even my husband...they all fall under this category. My heart's desire is to see Jesus be the only one in whom I find complete satisfaction. "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." This doesn't mean God gives us what we want when we check off all the boxes. No, this means He changes our desires to match His own! Praise the Lord!
Change is coming...
7 years ago
Thanks for sharing, Heidi. I have not thought of idolatry in this way before. It gives me a lot to pray about!
ReplyDeleteCarissa